Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

REAL RACING STARTS FROM A DIG!

Latest topics

» Let's start this page back up
ATTN all you roll racers! - Page 2 EmptyMon May 19, 2014 12:57 am by srtslo

» Slow 4door truck wantin to play
ATTN all you roll racers! - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 2:10 am by XplicitPerformance

» Track King of Houston1320.com
ATTN all you roll racers! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 12:49 pm by White90GT

» New guy here
ATTN all you roll racers! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 2:07 am by XplicitPerformance

» Newbie here!
ATTN all you roll racers! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 2:22 pm by TxCatfish

» Any ideas?
ATTN all you roll racers! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 3:11 pm by BT03Mach-1

» Where's everybody at ?
ATTN all you roll racers! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 1:33 pm by TxCatfish

» Looks like rain...
ATTN all you roll racers! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 2:29 pm by XplicitPerformance

» Another noob
ATTN all you roll racers! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 3:59 pm by TxCatfish

Top posting users this week

No user

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 123 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:49 am

+9
SouthTexasBully
Coloreyez
BoltonC6
XplicitPerformance
Blazonic
BT03Mach-1
Hellraiser
XPSRT8
Houston1320
13 posters

ATTN all you roll racers!

XPSRT8
    XPSRT8
    Roll Racer
    Roll Racer

ATTN all you roll racers! - Page 2 Empty Re: ATTN all you roll racers!

Post by XPSRT8 Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:53 pm

Yeah, but u don't launch hard at the track either. Lol
    BT03Mach-1
    BT03Mach-1
    1320 Member
    1320 Member

Post by BT03Mach-1 Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:01 pm

no lol i trap way higher than that.

i wonder if the weather is going to hold out? i don't want to put my tires on if its going to rain.
    XPSRT8
    XPSRT8
    Roll Racer
    Roll Racer

Post by XPSRT8 Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:02 pm

What's way higher?
    BT03Mach-1
    BT03Mach-1
    1320 Member
    1320 Member

Post by BT03Mach-1 Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:24 pm

~127
    XplicitPerformance
    XplicitPerformance
    1320 Member
    1320 Member

Post by XplicitPerformance Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:43 pm

BT03Mach-1 wrote:~127

TBSS does that in the 60ft! Cool Cool
    BT03Mach-1
    BT03Mach-1
    1320 Member
    1320 Member

Post by BT03Mach-1 Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:01 pm

that was with the last shot.
    XPSRT8
    XPSRT8
    Roll Racer
    Roll Racer

Post by XPSRT8 Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:34 pm

i still think we should try for the hell of it. LOL
    SouthTexasBully
    SouthTexasBully
    Staging Lanes
    Staging Lanes

Post by SouthTexasBully Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:27 pm

Hellraiser wrote:I wanna run the LMR viper again......maybe this time they will post the video...is there a spot for that?
    What really happened? they claim the viper missed a gear 1 time and that the viper smoked you the other time? so what really happened?
    Houston1320
    Houston1320
    Admin

Post by Houston1320 Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:17 pm

Missing a gear is a loss in my book. Goes to show Money can buy driving skills Very Happy
    Justa4
    Justa4
    Staging Lanes
    Staging Lanes

Post by Justa4 Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:31 am

Houston1320 wrote:Dig racing spot holders are allowed to run for spots on the roll ladder. I know Gypsy George wanted in on the roll ladder so I would like to see someone step up and race him.

I ran george a few weekends ago...several times...I lost. But not nearly as badly as I thought. Razz He opened his bottle before we left the spot ran and when asked for a motor run he told me he runs his car how its setup and its like that or nothing.

Fact:

• I lost
      - I spun so badly I ended up with a flat (thanks for the help George) I love you
      - I am still on stock clutch affraid and once it gets heated its starts slipping can't wot shift.
      - No fuckin video soooo. Neutral
      - I lost

Last edited by Justa4 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:43 am; edited 2 times in total
    Justa4
    Justa4
    Staging Lanes
    Staging Lanes

Post by Justa4 Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:34 am

SouthTexasBully wrote:
    Hellraiser wrote:I wanna run the LMR viper again......maybe this time they will post the video...is there a spot for that?
    What really happened? they claim the viper missed a gear 1 time and that the viper smoked you the other time? so what really happened?

:popcorn:

Video is crucial otherwise its he said she said kinda deal, which gets really gay.
    BT03Mach-1
    BT03Mach-1
    1320 Member
    1320 Member

Post by BT03Mach-1 Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:37 pm

Justa4 wrote:
    Houston1320 wrote:Dig racing spot holders are allowed to run for spots on the roll ladder. I know Gypsy George wanted in on the roll ladder so I would like to see someone step up and race him.

I ran george a few weekends ago...several times...I lost. But not nearly as badly as I thought. Razz He opened his bottle before we left the spot ran and when asked for a motor run he told me he runs his car how its setup and its like that or nothing.

Fact:

• I lost
      - I spun so badly I ended up with a flat (thanks for the help George) I love you
      - I am still on stock clutch affraid and once it gets heated its starts slipping can't wot shift.
      - No fuckin video soooo. Neutral
      - I lost

standard ricer excuses? LOL j/j

he beat me 2 :-(
    lane_change
    lane_change
    Dig Racer
    Dig Racer

Post by lane_change Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:00 pm

My heads are still fucking lifting....taking this pile of shit to Dallas. They can give it back once it's fixed and making the numbers it should.
    BT03Mach-1
    BT03Mach-1
    1320 Member
    1320 Member

Post by BT03Mach-1 Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:20 pm

lane_change wrote:My heads are still fucking lifting....taking this pile of shit to Dallas. They can give it back once it's fixed and making the numbers it should.

that sucks. why Dallas?
    lane_change
    lane_change
    Dig Racer
    Dig Racer

Post by lane_change Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:02 pm

That's where my tuner is...might as well have them finish it up, tune it, and then give it back once it's running as it should. Debating adding nitrous to the car before I take it up there so that way when it comes back she will already be set up for the juice as well. But who knows. Losing motivation.
    Hellraiser
    Hellraiser
    Dig Racer
    Dig Racer

Post by Hellraiser Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:06 pm

SouthTexasBully wrote:

1st run he had a shitting problem he droped back a car or so.
    2nd we were door to door and ran up on trafic.
    If this was true don't you think the video would have been posted with the rest of the runs that night! They were out to put it on my ass and it did not work out for there car! Everyone we met that night where cool as shit sad thing is they don't like a lose or a close run!

https://www.youtube.com/user/hightechcorvette#p/u/0/brVUoWtv9js
    Houston1320
    Houston1320
    Admin

Post by Houston1320 Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:07 pm

Hellraiser wrote:
    SouthTexasBully wrote:

If this was true don't you think the video would have been posted with the rest of the runs that night! They were out to put it on my ass and it did not work out for there car! Everyone we met that night where cool as shit sad thing is they don't like a lose or a close run!

so no footage was uploaded with you and the viper?
    Hellraiser
    Hellraiser
    Dig Racer
    Dig Racer

Post by Hellraiser Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:59 pm

Houston1320 wrote:
    Hellraiser wrote:
    SouthTexasBully wrote:

none....like I was never there!
    XplicitPerformance
    XplicitPerformance
    1320 Member
    1320 Member

Post by XplicitPerformance Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:31 pm

Hellraiser wrote:
    Houston1320 wrote:
    Hellraiser wrote:
    SouthTexasBully wrote:

none....like I was never there!

Damn you are "legend" status now? Spoke of but never seen LOL
    BT03Mach-1
    BT03Mach-1
    1320 Member
    1320 Member

Post by BT03Mach-1 Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:08 pm

they just didn't want a pink vette in their commercial lol
    Justa4
    Justa4
    Staging Lanes
    Staging Lanes

Post by Justa4 Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:36 pm

lane_change wrote:My heads are still fucking lifting....taking this pile of shit to Dallas. They can give it back once it's fixed and making the numbers it should.

I am assuming the shop has the heads button down with ARP studs? What head gaskets? Tuner prolly is running a but to much timming @wot IF you do have the better head studs and gaskets. Whats giving you the sign of the heads lifting?

BT03Mach-1 : lol tongue No excuses loss is a loss no matter what my problem are. No traction, "slippin" clutch is my fualt. If it wasn't "ready" it should have been parked. I don't mind losing it makes me want to actually get some real mods going. Cool
    BluFlame
    Roll Racer
    Roll Racer

Post by BluFlame Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:05 am

Justa4 wrote:
    RaceCar!! flower
    I am assuming the shop has the heads button down with ARP studs? What head gaskets? Tuner prolly is running a but to much timming @wot IF you do have the better head studs and gaskets. Whats giving you the sign of the heads lifting?

BT03Mach-1 : lol tongue No excuses loss is a loss no matter what my problem are. No traction, "slippin" clutch is my fualt. If it wasn't "ready" it should have been parked. I don't mind losing it makes me want to actually get some real mods going. Cool
    This aint a Peon we are talking about here. ARP "bolts" are better and I'm sure even a tune by me wouldn't burn up the factory MLS head gaskets those car's run. Other issues are at fault in this situation. I'm sure he knows what higher coolant temps and antifreeze look/smell like....
    lane_change
    lane_change
    Dig Racer
    Dig Racer

Post by lane_change Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:48 am

ARP bolts and stock LS7 MLS gaskets. It is a high compression E85 setup at 14.3:1 and it's pressurising my coolant system and pushing coolant out the reservoir. The problem is that I built the car for nitrous and if I can't get it to hold with n/a cylinder pressure then it's really going to run into issues with spray on it. We are going to swap over to the LS9 gaskets and the ARP2000 studs and see if that doesn't help them stay down. The LS9 gaskets are thicker which should bring my compression down a bit...half point or so, then if the studs will hold better than the bolts then tphopefully that will seal her up. The tune is not very aggressive right now. Car is setup to make 620whp n/a and we are only seeing 566/528 or something like that.
    BluFlame
    Roll Racer
    Roll Racer

Post by BluFlame Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:41 pm

lane_change wrote:ARP bolts and stock LS7 MLS gaskets. It is a high compression E85 setup at 14.3:1 and it's pressurising my coolant system and pushing coolant out the reservoir. The problem is that I built the car for nitrous and if I can't get it to hold with n/a cylinder pressure then it's really going to run into issues with spray on it. We are going to swap over to the LS9 gaskets and the ARP2000 studs and see if that doesn't help them stay down. The LS9 gaskets are thicker which should bring my compression down a bit...half point or so, then if the studs will hold better than the bolts then tphopefully that will seal her up. The tune is not very aggressive right now. Car is setup to make 620whp n/a and we are only seeing 566/528 or something like that.

Honestly, I would give HKE a call and talk to Eric. He is usually very helpful when it comes to stuff like this. We(My dad and other friends) deal with him alot. I'm still stuck on this Neon shit LOL. That's some high ass compression too. I don't know much about e85 but what are your air/fuels looking like when you go WOT? E85 a/f's shouldn't read the same as gasoline, correct? What are your Exhaust gas temps? Cylinder pressure? I'm going to research that compression a bit because you have me interested now...
    BluFlame
    Roll Racer
    Roll Racer

Post by BluFlame Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:49 pm

Just off the little research I have done, I already don't like this set-up you have and it seems you need more octane than E85. Do you have a EMS that can actually see if you are getting E85 and nothing less? Look here...

I would be inclined to stay near the 12.5:1 indicated in my post above.

The benefit of higher compression ratios is generally over rated. The biggest gain in thermal effeciency comes as you move from the 7:1 range up to 9:1 range on gasoline for example.

If you look at some of the writings of Smokey Yunick there is some good reference material. In his book "Power Secrets of Smokey Yunick" he spends some time discussing compression ratios.

"When useing a conventionally blended , high-octane, "racing gasoline," the safe compression limit on a long speedway is about 12.6:1 to 12.8:1, but the engine better be in good shape and the rings better be sealed up real tight if your going to go this high. "

Note that the racing gasolines he was refering to had essentially the same octane as E85. He goes on to say, if using special blends ( ie spiked with toluene) for an octane of about 110-120 or so 13.0:1 is possible but he has never seen a conventional racing fuel that would allow it. Now this book was written back in 1989 and they have succeded in going higher than this in recent years. The higher compression ratios are possible with high tech fast burn combustion chamber designs in restrictor plate engines that have much lower dynamic compression than their mechanical compression rations.

I think his comments accurately represent what is possible/practical for the typical mechanic. Back when 100 octane premium was available from the pump conventional wisdom was 12.5:1 was max for a street engine, and you went beyond that with considerable risk. I ran a 10.5:1 compression ratio Hemi on 100 octane pump leaded fuel and had all the performance I could use. The guys who were playing with 12.5:1 and up compression ratios bought a lot of new pistons and head gaskets from detonation induced cylinder pressures.

On pure methanol he listed the max compression ratio at 14.0:1 on the Chevy small block. E85 has slightly less octane than methanol, so I believe this is very much an upper limit for compression ratio.

The most important comment he has in this section is the following:

" In fact, you don't need to run this risk to be competitive! Our tests show that excessiove compression does not improve peak power delivered by the engine. We have found that you can drop the compression in a dyno engine well below the miximum limit and not find an appreciable decline in peak horsepower"

He goes on to say that the main effect of dropping the compression is that the engine throttle response is not quite as sharp at lower compression ratios.

High compression ratios are a case of deminishing returns. It is much better to be a bit light on the compression ratio and have the safety that brings than to go a bit too far and have to walk on eggs every time you tune the engine or drive in hot weather or heavy load.

IN David Visards book titled "How to build horsepower" he says essentially the same thing Smokey did. The benefit of higher compression ratios is mostly in the thermal effeciency of the engine, but the gains are relatively small. For example going from an 8.0:1 to a 9.0:1 compression ratio gains you approx 2% more effeciency. Going from 11.0:1 to 12.0:1 you only get 66% of that gain or about 1.3%

According to the publication "Properties of Alcohol Transportation fuels" Ricardo built an engine "optimized for methanol" which had a 13.0:1 compression ratio. On page 3-4 they mention:

"Dedicated alcohol engines have been found to operate smoothly at CRs (Compression Ratios) up to 12.5 - 13.5, although alcohol fuel racing engines have been shown to withstand compression ratios up to 18."

I'd recommend you "safe side" the compression ratio slightly.

There are a few racers around the country racing on ethanol fuels, you can find some references on the web if you look around a bit.

You might want to call Wyoming Ethanol in Torrington Wyoming, talk to Dan Schwartzkopf that runs a dragster on E98 he might have some first hand info to help you with the decision.

http://www.e85fuel.com/news/031902fyi.htm#Drag
    http://www.ethanolmarketplace.com/011906_news3.asp

Driver Paul Dana of the Indy Racing League's Infiniti Pro Series has been racing on ethanol as well.
    http://www.drivingethanol.org/aspx/newsroom/news_releases.aspx?catID=1&id=26

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:02 am